Monday, July 12, 2010

The Aquarium, The Varsity, The Fox Theatre, and The Family Dinner

You can probably already tell from the title that our Saturday was a VERY full day of fun. (Beware, lots of pictures ahead!!) Our first stop was the Georgia Aquarium. It was a little crowded, but very nicely done. It's main attraction was the shark tank which housed a giant whale shark among other species. He was too cool! I think we brought home two stuffed animals of him. (Funny story I thought I should insert. Kyler is sometimes too smart for his own good. I was trying to convince him to get an animal of something we had seen, you know a whale or hammerhead shark instead of a great white. He said to me, but Kassidy didn't see a mermaid and she got that. Point taken, oh wise one, and I quickly changed the subject.)
When it was lunchtime we headed a few blocks over to the famous Varsity. While granddaddy was reminiscing about some late night trips here during his stint at Georgia Tech we enjoyed chili burgers and dogs plus a few "naked dogs" for the kids. We even had an FO (a frosted orange drink). The kids got to even take home their very own Varsity worker hats.
The Foxes then walked a few blocks over to have our picture with our own famous Atlanta landmark - The Fox Theater. It wasn't open for tours at that time, but you could tell how grand it was just from the outside. We had our family photo done and then it was off to the next thing.
Saturday evening was set aside form the beginning as the night for all of the extended family to get together for dinner at a local park. It was a warm night, but I could only smile at the family warmth I saw everywhere. David and Maryanne treated everyone to some super yummy BBQ from a local spot. We managed to snap a picture of each generation of the direct family line - the cousins (my dad), the second cousins (that included me and Jeremy) and the third cousins (that was my kids and Juliette).
I think one of the best parts of the park was the pond. Kassidy got pretty good at tossing her bread (we had a LOT of buns left over from our BBQ sandwiches). The kids reminded me of little ducks themselves as they crowded around begging for the bread to throw. I also managed to get some really good pictures of Juliette (my inner Amanda - our fave photographer - coming out to play). Check out how she is eating her bread pieces instead of throwing them!
The only logically thing to when we got home from the park was to jump in the pool, so that is just what we did. We were exhausted but playing in the water was just the right thing to at the end of the day. Whew! I am tired just remembering all the great times we had that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment