Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Royal Celebration!

This past Sunday we had Kassidy and Konner's first birthday party. Of course I said I would try to keep things simple, and in ways I did, but it was definitely a party "Janelle" style.

Our theme (of course I had a theme) was a castle, medieval, prince and princess deal. I decorated the backyard fences and walls with "banners" (thanks to my TAs at work for all their hard work coloring) and shields (a fantastic find in the Target dollar section).


We did it on a Sunday afternoon for just two hours and just for cake and ice cream. No games, the kids were kinda too little anyway, just decorating your own crowns, gifts and treats. All the kids got along so nicely just playing in the yard and on the swing set. We were sorry not everyone could make it (I did invite a lot of people who are special to us), but those who were there had a great time. We were happy so many could make it despite Sunday afternoons typically being very busy.

I decided to save some money and make my own cakes for them. To tell you the truth I was VERY nervous about messing them up not being a cake decorator and all. But they turned out pretty cute! Kassidy's was a princess and Konner's a castle. (THANK YOU Aunt Amanda for you moral support!)


I also made (at Jason's request) some posters with pictures of each baby as well as one poster for them together. I think I had more fun looking back at all the photos trying to pick the best ones. We displayed them on a great 3-sided art easel we got them as their present.


After a "Happy Birthday" serenade for each kid, we gave them their own cake to dig in to as is traditional. They loved it, but I think more cake ended up in their laps and on their faces than in their mouths! (I included my favorite "cake face" pictures below for your enjoyment!)



The kids crashed right after everyone left (Kyler included) and we were able to clean up with just enough time to get ready for church again. I wouldn't change a thing about the day and hope the babies will look back at their pictures and know they had a great time!

Enjoy the pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry we missed it all. We fall into one of those categories of kids exhauted by 2pm on Sundays. Love love love the cakes...I'm jealous. Yours are way better than mine. And...love the tutu. We have presents for the little ones so find us next weekend.

    ReplyDelete